- WHAT IS CLUBES DE CIENCIA MÉXICO (CDECMX)?
“Clubes de Ciencia México” is an NGO formed by young scientists in Mexico and abroad. Our mission is to expand access to high-quality science education and to inspire and mentor the future generation of scientists and innovators in Mexico through international scientific networks.
2. WHAT IS THE WEEK OF “CLUBES DE CIENCIA”?
It’s an intensive one-week event with hands-on workshops on cutting-edge scientific topics, social activities, and networking opportunities.
3. WHAT IS A “CLUB”?
A “Club” is a hands-on, intensive course for high school and undergraduate students. CdeCMx pairs a foreign-based instructor and a Mexico-based instructor to design and implement a club during the Clubes de Ciencia week.
Check out our more clubs on our YouTube Channel!.
4. HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE?
- As a Student: If you are studying in the last year of high school or the first 3 years of university, you can apply to the call for students.
- As a CdeCMx Ambassador: Support your CdeCMx City! If you are a former CdeCMx student and you want to help in the organization of the CdeCMx Week or support you as a volunteer to spread the word about our job, email email@example.com.
5. WHAT IS THE PROFILE OF CDECMX STUDENTS ALSO KNOWN AS “CLUBEROS”?
If you have a deep interest in scientific frontiers topics, you are motivated by creativity and curiosity to understand phenomena in your environment and you want to share a week of summer learning from the best researchers in Mexico and the United States, then CdeCMx is for you! Follow our social media accounts and stay tuned to www.clubesdeciencia.mx for updates and opportunities to take part in various activities with Clubes the Ciencia Mexico.
6. HOW MANY CLUBS CAN I APPLY TO?
When You fill out your application, you have 3 options to choose from, but you will only be assigned to one (Some clubs will be taught in English and others in Spanish. Consider this while you are applying). Every club is limited to 20 to 25 students. Once you are selected as a “clubero”, you will be assigned to a Club, with no option to change the club.
Clubes de Ciencia México is a free event and is a unique and invaluable experience. Every year we receive thousands of applications, and being chosen is a great opportunity. If you are selected and confirm your participation, we ask you to commit and attend to all the activities, including the opening, closing, and extra events.
7. WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO APPLY AS A STUDENT TO CDECMX SUMMER
- Wait for the launch of the call for students. The first step to applying is to register and create your profile on our page clubsdeciencia.mx.
- We recommend you follow us on our social networks for updates and surprises.
- Once you are logged in, fill out the student application and wait to hear from us!
8. I CANNOT SEND MY APPLICATION, WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT?
To submit your application, go to the top right of the web page and click save. Then select the arrow next to save and click “save and send”. If you have a problem with the delivery of your application, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicate the email you used to register, and attach a screenshot of the issue, we will contact you with the solution!
9. CAN I APPLY IF I AM NOT MEXICAN?
Yes, but to take part as a student in this 2023 edition, it is necessary to live in Mexico and have the possibility of attending the course in person.
10. IS THERE A WAY TO INCREASE MY OPPORTUNITY TO BE SELECTED?
The fundamental part of your application is the open-ended questions. Its purpose is to diagnose your creative skills and enthusiasm for the scientific method. We want to understand how you structure your responses and if the curiosity leads you to investigate more information that supports your cognitive processes.
Every year, we receive thousands of applications and evaluate each of them in a blind way.
We do not consider whether you come from a public or private school, your level of English, grades, or previous experience with the topics of the selected “clubes”.
We take gender parity seriously and the clubes are strategically designed to create a collaboration and camaraderie atmosphere between instructors, cluberos, staff, and allies who join us.
11. WHAT WILL BE THE LOCATIONS THIS SUMMER?
Julio 9 – Julio 15, 2023: Chihuahua, Mérida & Guadalajara
Julio 24–Julio 29, 2023: Guanajuato
Julio 31 – Agosto 5, 2023: La Paz, Monterrey & Ensenada
Agosto 7 – Agosto 12, 2023: Xalapa & Oaxaca
12. IS THERE ANY COST TO PARTICIPATE?
CdeCMx is a free event!
13. DO I NEED A COMPUTER AND AN INTERNET SERVICE?
For this edition of CdeCMx, you must have a computer and Internet service during the time you are taking the Club. Don’t worry, you will only need a computer with a connection. The instructors will set the schedule in advance, and each club will have its own schedule. Sessions will be recorded and each session may last from 2 to 3 hours and there will be 2 to 3 sessions per week.
14. WILL CDECMX PROVIDE THE MATERIAL I NEED FOR THE CLUB?
Normally, CdeCMx provides you with the infrastructure, equipment, instruments, and material that allows you to learn what a scientist’s research is like in a laboratory. However, during this 2021 online edition, we will guide you to get the material you will need. Don’t worry, the material you will be using in each club will be easy to get and won’t be expensive.
15. WILL THE CDECMX 2023 EDITION BE LIKE THE CLASSES I TAKE ONLINE AT MY SCHOOL?
CdeCMx is interested in providing the highest quality education. Our goal is that the students exploit their talent, curiosity, and analytical thinking. To achieve our goal, we have implemented the most modern platforms and technologies for you to learn in a pedagogical and didactic way and help you awaken your inner scientist. Therefore, it will be a unique experience that you have not had before. They will not be the traditional classes, it will be a Science Club!
16. WILL I HAVE TO STUDY OR READ BOOKS, ARTICLES, READINGS, OR VIDEOS?
You must take into account that scientific research is reflected in the information that is published in various media, and stories such as books, articles, readings, videos, etc. You will need to read some material, some of it in English. You will have close communication with your instructors who will provide you with readings that will be super interesting and will guide you in whatever you need. Sounds difficult? Of course not. You will find out!
17. HOW WILL I BE IN TOUCH WITH MY INSTRUCTOR AND OTHER STUDENTS?
On the first day of your Club, your instructors will give you instructions on how you can keep in touch with them. It could be by email, Slack, Zoom, WhatsApp, or another communication application. We encourage you to maintain a close relationship between students and instructors!
18. HOW DO I REGISTER ON THE CDECMX PLATFORM?
To create your user within our platform, you must click on login. At the bottom is the registration link, where a form will take you to where you must complete your information. Your data is very important to us, so we will not share it. You can also register on the platform using your google email or your Facebook username.
19. IF I AM ACCEPTED INTO THE CLUB OF MY CHOICE, WILL I WORK ALONE OR AS A TEAM?
Your instructors will let you know when you need to work as a team and when individually. Since this is an international/national call, you will probably meet colleagues from other parts of the country/world, which will increase your network of friends and contacts.
20. WILL MY FRIENDS, MY PARENTS, OR OTHERS ATTEND TO MY CLUB?
The CdeCMx edition will only be for students who have been selected.
But your parents, brothers, cousins, and friends will witness the opening and closing of the event on Facebook Live. So be prepared to make a good impression because your loved ones will see you!